Sunday 26 February 2012

Sunday Soup - Cauliflower

There was no Sunday Soup post last week, as I went out to our local for a lovely roast dinner instead.

Normal service has been restored this week, and this was the leftover contents of my fridge today.


Actually, the boy was Queen of the Fridge this week and his random scattergun approach to shopping has also left me with a pack of chicken thighs and some aubergines. I've never seen a recipe for aubergine soup, and I'm assuming that there's a good reason for that, so I put them firmly back in the fridge.

I'm using a Delia recipe as a basis, but faffing with it a bit. The original can be found here

Recipe

1 cauliflower (recipe says about 570g but I didn't bother weighing it
50g cheese (Delia used roquefort but says you can use whatever you've got - I'm using a mix of parmesan and cheddar)
2 bay leaves
25g butter
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
2 sticks of celery, chopped
1 large leek, trimmed, washed and chopped
110g potato (this equates to one medium size spud if you can't be bothered to weigh them)
1 garlic clove
1 litre of light veg stock (Delia made her own with the cauliflower stalks and trimmings, I consider life too short for this sort of thing and used a stock cube/gel thingy)
60ml double cream

Melt the butter in large saucepan over a gentle heat, then add the onion, celery, leek, garlic and potato, cover and let the vegetables gently cook for 15 minutes.

Add stock, bay leaves and chuck in cauliflower florets. Simmer gently for 25 minutes.

Remove bay leaves, blitz with a blender, then stir in cream and cheese, and add some pepper if you feel like it. Don't let it boil.

And tada! Soup!


Turned out quite nice actually. Not as thick as my previous soupy experiements, so I think my ratio of stock to other stuff was a bit better this time.

No comments: