I pretty much stuck with the previous instructions for the buckram, as that seemed to work okay, it was when I covered it with fabric that things went slightly awry.
So, as the base wasn't curved enough for my liking and went all flat and wonky, this time, I tried cutting through the buckram circle from centre to outside edge and pulling the edges together to make a slight cone shape. I then stitched along the join to secure. Like so:
Yay, it worked!
I then make a similar cut into the felt material and stitched it in the same way down the join and also stitched it to the edge of the buckram to make a solid base to attach the finishing fabric.
I failed to take pictures of all the stages, as I needed to finish the hat in a hurry for my friend Jennie's birthday party, but.... drum roll please.... this is how it turned out:
And the back:
All in all, it didn't look too bad, so long as you didn't look to closely. The bits I buggered up, I think I know how to fix for the next one. Woohoo! I made a hat :)
In other making things news, I also made some cupcakes for Jennie's birthday party. Which was also Valentines day, hence the hearts.
Yeah yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be a jeweller and stuff and here I am faffing about making hats and cupcakes. But stick with me, I promise something shiny really really soon...