Wednesday 25 February 2009

Cocktail Hat - Take 2

Okay, the hat thing... So yeah, I thought about it for a while and decided I'd try something different.

I pretty much stuck with the previous instructions for the buckram, as that seemed to work okay, it was when I covered it with fabric that things went slightly awry.

So, as the base wasn't curved enough for my liking and went all flat and wonky, this time, I tried cutting through the buckram circle from centre to outside edge and pulling the edges together to make a slight cone shape. I then stitched along the join to secure. Like so:

Yay, it worked!

I then make a similar cut into the felt material and stitched it in the same way down the join and also stitched it to the edge of the buckram to make a solid base to attach the finishing fabric.

I used the same principal as before, cutting my fabric a half inch bigger than the base and stitching at the back to hold in place. I then placed a circle of black satin on the back to cover the stitching and bound the edges with ribbon. Which went a whole lot better once I realised I'd threaded my sewing machine like a retard.

I failed to take pictures of all the stages, as I needed to finish the hat in a hurry for my friend Jennie's birthday party, but.... drum roll please.... this is how it turned out:

And the back:
All in all, it didn't look too bad, so long as you didn't look to closely. The bits I buggered up, I think I know how to fix for the next one. Woohoo! I made a hat :)

In other making things news, I also made some cupcakes for Jennie's birthday party. Which was also Valentines day, hence the hearts.

Yeah yeah, I know, I'm supposed to be a jeweller and stuff and here I am faffing about making hats and cupcakes. But stick with me, I promise something shiny really really soon...

2 comments:

Rachel R. said...

hey,
I came for the hats!!! Hopefully, I'll learn from your mistakes..lol. I'll be making my first attempt soon, wish me luck!

Lauren Grace said...

Hahaha! Good luck. Check out my original post of how to make a cocktail hat for what absolutely not to do :) x