Sunday 30 January 2011

Old Project, New Photography - Silver AFI Jewellery

For many, many years I have been terribly fond of a band called AFI. I made these silver necklaces some time in 2003, inspired by the gorgeous artwork on the cover of their album, Sing the Sorrow (one of my favourite albums of all time). There was a whole collection of symbols and I originally planned to make a necklace for each, but I imagine my short attention span got distracted by some other shiny thing, so only ever got round to making these two.
Silver AFI Jewelry Davey Havok
The inside shapes of the necklaces were pierced from sterling silver sheet, then soldered into a large ring hammered from silver wire. I remember them taking rather a long time to make!

Haven't worn them in forever, but came across them in my jewellery box and thought I'd take some pictures, which came out rather well. Here they are:

I'm still not entirely sure about using this acrylic star as a photography prop. I rather like it as a way to display necklaces, but worry that the lights and shadows detract from the jewellery.

Anyway, must wander back to current shiny project, namely making new collection with which to wow Liberty's buying team...

8 comments:

Lily said...

Those are stunning!

MissMurder said...

Gosh they're stunning! I wish they would make and sell these, I don't care if the album's 8 years old. You did an absolutely amazing job!

Lauren Grace said...

Aw, thank you! They are definitely some of my favourite pieces of jewellery I've made.

Ness said...

So beautiful! I definitely would've bought them if they were for sale. Good job!

Anonymous said...

I love these AFI necklaces. Is there no way you would make them for sale? :/

Lauren Grace said...

Hiya. I've had sooooo many emails about these necklaces recently! The reason that I don't sell them is that the artwork belongs to AFI, not to me, and I don't much fancy getting sued for copyright infringement :)

Anonymous said...

I've been trying for almost a year to get a pendant like this for my boyfriend. I can't find anyone who makes custI'm pendants. ;( I won't give up! These are beautiful though.

Anonymous said...

I-LOVE-IT. If they were for sale I'd defo buy one. It's my fav album